Monday, April 19, 2010

Taking Flight


Well, this will be my first "actual" post not being made through my incredible wife, Jenny. As most of you are now aware, I have arrived home, and under the Grace of God and Layla's Wings, safe and virtually unscathed. So it is only fitting I start this post here, at "Home", where it all began & if it were not for the strength & support of my wife and amazing children, I could not have taken this leap with Layla and assist her with her foundation taking flight. To my wife, Jenny: You are my Rock! Not once did you or the kids waiver from the mission or Layla's Dreams. I love you all so very much!

I must also thank Dave Stewart & his family for sacrifices they had to make to keep this journey alive & keeping me safe & on track. "Captain" Dave, followed me the entire way in my support vehicle, keeping track of routes, times, hydration, distances, nutrition, traffic, & all things "safety" all the way to New Orleans. A pleasant "surprise" and blessing arrived a long the way & another thanks goes out to the Sliva family & Nathan Sliva, whom decided to fly from Houston to our Baton Rouge Location to join in the journey & support me & Layla to Destination "New Orleans" during the final stages of the ride & the Ironman 70.3 race on the final day. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart for your time, sacrifice, dedication & friendships! I can not emphasize enough what your presence meant to me & how very much of an important role you all have played with helping move forward Layla's wishes through her foundation.

Finally, I want to thank all of you. If it were not for the outpouring of support, comments, & prayers, I do not know if I would have been able to complete this mission. My wife was keeping me informed through "Captain" Dave of all the kind words of encouragement and awareness for Layla & her foundation, God Bless you all!

So, here goes: I set off to accomplish a couple of things. First, Draw more attention to Neuroblastoma & assist The Marsh Family & Layla's Dreams to create awareness & support through their foundation for research & outreach until which day Layla & her flock of Angels can smile down from above at a cure. The contributions have been overwhelming in such a short period of time, but the primary goal set forth was to spread awareness and touch as many people a long the way as I possibly could. I am proud to say, with the all of your support, this mission has been a success! I will take the upcoming days & weeks now to go out and utilize the platform that has been built through this first journey to press forward with more efforts for awareness and contributions & quietly, behind the scenes to do whatever I can, with my family to drive people towards the foundation and become better informed of Layla's story & this terrible form of childhood cancer. I will continue to find physical "challenges" and endurance type events that will not only be created to raise awareness and contributions, but also, continue to build my connection with Layla & the suffering we all know she endured all the while touching so very many people. She has truly impacted the lives of so many & continues doing so. WE MUST do all we can, play our own role, whatever that may be, to put an end to this devastating disease and the torture these precious Angels & their families are enduring. I know for me, this journey through & with Layla has opened doors to opportunities & partnerships for "Hope" and support of the foundation & I intend to press forward, as the spirit of God intends me and continue to fill my heart with joy with Layla's never ending presence.

I am not going to "re-cap" any further my ride or race as the previous posts have summarized well the details and status. Besides, what I was doing is not as important as what will be done because of all of you. As I have made mention through Jenny this past week, what I did was not the objective. The greatest purpose here is dependent on how we respond to Layla's wishes & dreams, dreams of all children free from cancer.

However, I must remind everyone of the strength & power of faith and the unexpected "Blanket" of an Angel. On day #4, one day prior to the race and 1 day past my desired arrival, and after many frustrating events on the road and trials & tribulations & a very difficult swing of emotions and physical set backs (the list goes on & on)....I still had over 61 miles to complete to reach New Orleans and complete my "Victory" in Layla's honor & her foundation. Given the previous day's experiences with traffic and hurdles that we just could not overcome, doubt was more than creeping in. I had to not only complete the miles, but also, get checked in for the race by a certain time or be unable to compete, not to mention, would have really benefited from a bit of rest the day before the Ironman Event. All that being said, unlike the prior three days,on this morning, the skies opened up, not to much sun but no fog, the alternate route was safe, traffic almost non existent, the winds very much tolerable & almost calming, as if all of a sudden Layla had said "OK, enough suffering, it is time to finish & move on", just as her dream lives on to end the suffering & "Finish", with not only hope, but comfort for the families and ultimately through more research and better alternatives for treatment- A Cure! I was certain & clear from the beginning of what I was hoping for, but for a brief moment, until that connection on day #4 through Layla & under her wings and the Grace Of God, I was also being told to be certain of what I could not see. She was there & we finished together!

What I am going to do is ask, as "cliche" as it sounds, is to "Pay It Forward", somehow. Not necessarily with money & contributions, but with awareness. Tell a friend or co worker to check out the Foundation's site. Get 5 people to go to the foundation site & read Layla's story. Do something! None of us know what is around our corner, our own child's corner, neighbor's corner, relative's corner, any one's for that matter. We have all been touched by Layla & her story & her Family's strength & endurance & dedication to fighting this disease, but there are still plenty of people who do not know the beginning, or middle of the story. We CAN help write the ending, not the ending of a precious life as we know & love, but an ending to this terrible form of cancer & suffering! WE, together can do just that. Help make Layla's Dream a Reality, help me continue her fight for those children & families who continue their fight. Layla will spread her wings over you. I know that to be not only a certain truth, but also, an incredible Blessing in itself! Trust me, I know!

Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up....Galatians 6:9

Covered by Layla's Wings & Under God's Grace,

Scott

1 comment:

  1. wendy huber malaneyApril 26, 2010 at 11:44 AM

    how awesome a thing you and your family and those involved have done for and with layla and her family....yes layla's story and dreams will live on and be fullfilled because of people like you who care enough to go the extra mile(s) in your case...wow...what a great memory you have now...will continue to follow layla and her family and promise to do my part....just wanted you to know many of us are listening and thank you for the hope and encouragement you have given to many also...for the sake of a lil girl ....layla grace who represents the face of every child who suffers today....she is their voice ....praise God ....and what a beautiful voice it is.

    ReplyDelete