Saturday, April 17, 2010

Day 4 - I have to bike

Testing every fiber of my patience and temperament, to this point for the most part folks have been very accommodating and supportive on the roads, but after arriving in Baton Rouge, everything with the roads and traffic changed. Don't get me wrong, there was still the occasional "thumbs up" and screams of "you can do it", but we just could not find a safe road to continue into the later afternoon after a late lunch.

I must admit, more than frustration was creeping in the more I sat and watched the Friday rush hours worth of traffic fly by me, I began having some doubts, doubting that I could complete the entire mission. Do not get me wrong, physically, I feel great and strong with all things considered after battling the wind and sun for 3 straight days. As I sat feeling a bit hopeless, "Captain" Dave was on his laptop trying to somehow find us a way through and beyond this mess. It hit me that this is a battle I am fighting and there are so many forks in the road for these Angels and their parents and the difficult treatment decisions they not only have to make, but endure with their children. I am sitting by the road outside Baton Rouge so that I can help with a movement - a movement to put an end to the unnecessary pain.

Again, reminding myself this is not about me or the pain I am feeling or all the traffic or unfit roads and debris.

Here is the good news: I have approached the 300 mile mark in almost 3 days or riding. Yes, the conditions have been not only unexpected but also quite grueling to say the least. "Captain" Dave has found a road through a very rural and a bit longer than desired, but we feel with a very slow safe approach, we can travel into New Orleans with some tricky maneuvering into Bourbon Street. I will have to ride 64 miles this morning on Day 4 and quickly get to the race meetings, check in, check in my race bike and then try to rest a bit for tomorrow's half ironman. I can see the light at the end of the first leg of this journey and am slowly being overtaken with emotions I don't think I have ever felt.

God Bless Nathan Sliva and his entire family as he flew into New Orleans last night just so he could do whatever possible to help and support this cause - Amazing!! I am speechless over the kind of overwhelming attention and support and momentum this tiny journey has created for Layla's hopes and dreams to beat this thing through her Foundation.

The next time you hear from or see a picture posted, it will be in New Orleans with the wings of Layla carrying me to finish.

Blessings from the road. Now let's get her done!

1 comment:

  1. I just found out about this site from the Layla Grace Foundation on Facebook, and think it's wonderful that you're doing this. I have lived all over south Louisiana and know how bad the roads are. Good luck to you; I hope you make it to New Orleans in time and can enjoy a Hurricane from Pat O'Brien's!

    ReplyDelete